Monday, May 5, 2008

My One & Only High School

Sri KL, the high school I practically grew up in, is considerably one of the best private schools in Malaysia because of the vast amount of facilities and qualified teachers. I'm quite sure this isn't a biased judgement just because I was a student there but it definitely is on the same level as the likes of Sri KDU and Sri Cempaka (which includes the ridiculous fees as well). Hmm..come to think of it, i was there for 12 out of 17 years of my life which translates to about 3/4s of my life. That's a long time uh?


It won't be wrong to say that Sri KL (it should be changed to Sri SJ coz it's no longer in KL) changed my life and I'm quite sure it was for the better with all the knowledge and interesting people I got to know. These people ranged from the 'canteen auntie' in primary school who always gave me the biggest drumstick for my nasi lemak to my classmate in Standard 6 who was known as and looked really like a Mad Scientist. Do tell me if any of you guys remember who he is. Lol.

Since I'm already at this topic, why don't I share with you guys one of the 'fond' memories I had over at Sri KL. It all started when Colin and I were playing truant with the excuse of helping out with the preparations for Sports Day. If I remember correctly, it was at about 11 in the morning and the principal was making his routinely rounds around the school to make sure everything was in order. Coincidentally, Colin and I were in a classroom 2 corridors away and we happened to notice him walking towards our direction. Seeing that we were playing truant and had no excuse to do so, we had to decide whether to take our chances and remain where we were or flee from the classroom.


We were quite sure that we couldn't prove that we weren't playing truant if he were to interrogate us so we decided to run to a nearby classroom. As we were running out, I was quite sure he caught a glimpse of us but we still decided to hide behind the piano of an empty music room. We were playing the game of hide-and-seek that we were so fond of during our primary days, but this time we were playing it with the principal of our school and the odds were against us. We knew our luck ran out when we heard the door creaking open and the room that was once dark lit up as sunlight came through the open space. Our principal walked in and headed straight to the back of the piano and all I could say was " Hi Mr Chew (my principal's name) ". I wonder how stupid I sounded.


As always, there are always 2 sides to every story and Sri KL wasn't just all fun and good experiences. I remember how I used to enjoy the roti canai that they served but hated the deep-fried ''prawns'' which was mostly if not all flour. And of course, what's a school without the teachers? I enjoyed learning History with Ms Kamala being my teacher but hated how my Physics teacher explained things like " Gamma ray is a ray ". Seriously, how does that answer my question of what gamma ray is. I also enjoyed playing football during recess but hated how I had to skip my lunch.


Like all the other high schools, Sri KL aims to educate young minds hoping that they would one day be able to use their high school qualifications to enter college and go on to finding a good job. Below is an example of what a Sri KL graduate looks like. :)

Just for laughs. Rachel took a picture of a gardener who was wearing the Sri KL uniform.
Wonder where he got it from.

No comments:

Nuffnang