Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Words.

I'm sure many of you have heard the quote 'variety is the spice of life'. What I'm sure many people have noticed is the way people, including me, use the same words so often to express his/her feelings that it's all becoming a boring routine. I mean, what words can you come up with to replace words like hello and goodbye?

Of course, there's always the occasional replacements such as " ni hao? , hola! and tata " but at the end of the day, hellos and goodbyes have become such universal words that a person doesn't have to know any English to use those words. Don't you think they should just stick to their mother tongue when greeting someone? Rather than people having the perception that you can speak English.

And what might be the most cliched 3 words put together that can mean anything from " thanks for the favour " and " you are my everything "... The " I Love You " phrase.. Haven't people woken up to the fact that they continuously use those 3 'magical' words on a daily basis without considering the true meaning of it? Why can't you just say " That was nice of you to do that for me " or " I think Orlando Bloom is really good-looking " instead of " Thanks lah, I love you " and " I LOVE YOU ORLANDO BLOOM "?

Anyway, on a random note, the other day I was watching Grey's Anatomy and I thought I'd share this with you guys. There was a scene where this crippled patient was lying on the bed and was unable to talk.He had his family by his side and the doctor had told his family that he would blink once for a yes and twice for a no. Just before he was pushed into surgery, as his wife was talking to him, he blinked his eyes three times. His wife, confused, then asked the doctor what three blinks meant and he had no clue what it was since he only taught him yes and no. All of a sudden, his wife started crying and realised that he was trying to say " I love you " with those 3 blinks.

And that's how I think " I love you " should be used. Or do you think it should be used on every occasion possible?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

KB i feel terrible ive been missing out on talking to you. im sorry-its the crazy few weeks of trials.

soon, though? will catch up with you soon. pop me a msg anytime anyway.

(love), kb.

Unknown said...

ahh KB! i was kinda like thinking how my kb was doing and i thought i'd just leave u a message on ur livejournal.. i just did that like 2 minutes ago and coincidentally opened my blog to see ur comment :)

Anonymous said...

such coincidence, for sure?

anyway, livejournal will be up and running (hopefully). just revamped, do see !

very nice to be back in touch with you kb, heh :)

Nuffnang