Thursday, July 31, 2008

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

Sigh, it's been such a long time since I last blogged. I wonder where all that mojo has gone coz i've just been postponing it from one day to another probably hoping for that " i MUST blog '' feeling to come back to me. Hah, I guess that day never came. Much like how you'll never get everything that you wish for. :) This post is gonna be really random coz I'll be like skipping from one topic to the other depending on what I recall mulling over the holidays.

Well anyway, the other day I was overhearing the conversation my father was having with one of my uncles. I don't remember how the topic came to light but they were talking about money and I heard one of them saying " When will we have enough? Getting rich is like chasing your own tail, you'll never be satisfied with your own wealth. I guess we all just have to know when to stop ".


And it was then that it hit me that all of that held a lot of truth, that money is pretty much the root of all evil. I mean, take the richest man on earth for example, whether it'd be that Mexican tycoon, the man at Ikea's helm or Microsoft's head of the house, they may be able to afford islands but they can't buy say, a poor Asean country. Gosh, it was hard thinking of something that they couldn't afford, but anyway, I hope that point of mine got through.

Of course, it's easy to say that some things in life just can't be bought but whoever says they can live without money is probably just talking with their butts. The difficult part of all that money business is to know when enough is enough and that spending all that time would only extend that barrier between you and other simple things in life that make you happy. And I wonder if I'll be asking myself this very question in the later parts of my life.


And on a totally different note, I'm sure as a teenager you have felt as though your parents existed in this world to torture you, and most of the time, it's because you're angry with what they did/said. No? I don't know about you, but i think parents in general have really high expectations for their children and sometimes expect them to do things that are beyond their reach.


I mean, these expectations are not exactly impossible but to the child, it's sacrificing things that they feel are worth more than let's say, better results for their exams. I know I know, good exam results will allow for more options in the future but really, how important is that compared to things like friendship and nurturing one's values and principles? That I really don't know. It's not as though there's a weighing scale that tells you whether to continue pursuing one or the other. What do you think?

I have to say, it's great to finally be back blogging.. :)

No comments:

Nuffnang